Caterina Casola’s Family Pizzelles
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 10 mins
Makes 150 pizzelles on a 3 inch Pizzelle maker. Makes 72 pizzelles on a 4 ½ inch Pizzelle maker.
½ cup vegetable oil
2 tsp. vanilla or anise extract (pure)
3 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 ½ cups sugar
1. Beat the eggs until smooth.
2. Add the oil and vanilla or anise extract.
3. Onto the mixture, sift the flour and baking powder.
4. Add the sugar and blend vigorously all of these dry ingredients into the egg mixture until smooth. The mixture will be sticky and stiff.
5. Test by dropping the mixture from a small teaspoon or demitasse spoon. As needed, add a few tablespoons of water so that the mix drops conveniently as a ribbon in two to three seconds. If the mix is too thin, add a few tablespoons of flour.
6. Bake according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Enjoy!
Other variations: You can use Crisco, margarine or equivalent shortening as a direct substitute for butter using the quantity called for in the recipe. The quantity of sugar can be varied slightly but if the mix becomes too thick, add a few tablespoons of water to adjust the stiffness and flow of the mix. Other flavorants such as almond extract, nut oil, rum extract, sweet wine or liquors can add novelty to your party pizzelles.
- Chef's Choice Admin